Thursday, November 30, 2006

Birthday Meme

I've been tagged by Indolent Server for the Birthday Meme. It goes like this:

1: Go to wikipedia
2: Enter your birth month and day, but not year in the search box
3: List three events that happened on your birthday
4: List two important birthdays and one death
5: List one holiday or observance


Hmmm. My first meme tagging. I s'pose that means I should try to make this a good one.

Three events:

  1. 1814 - Francis Scott Key writes The Star-Spangled Banner.
  2. 1944 - United States Marines land on the island of Peleliu. (Given that my grandfather was in Guadalcanal around this time, these things have a special significance to me.)
  3. 1964 - The opening of the third period of the Second Vatican Council.
  4. 1965 - The opening of the fourth and final period of Second Vatican Council. (Okay, so I cheated.)
Two birthdays:
  1. 1849 - Ivan Pavlov, Russian scientist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1936)
  2. 1936 - Walter Koenig, American actor (I want to know anyone over the age of 16 who doesn't know who he is.)
One death:
  1. 258 - Cyprian, Bishop of Carthage (Hmmm. That means his birthday into heaven is my birthday into the world. Perhaps I should learn more about him.)
  2. (Extra credit) 891 - Pope Stephen V
  3. (More extra credit) 1523 - Pope Adrian VI (b. 1459)
One celebration or holiday:
  1. Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
I hereby tag ... hmmm ... Curt Jester, Dyspeptic Mutterings, and Dappled Things.