Friday, February 02, 2007

Feast of the Presentation of the Lord

Since Amy already has posted the patristic reading from this morning's Office of Readings thereby beating me to my usual source of inspiration, I thought I'd give you the reflection from St. Josemaría Escrivá in the little booklet from Midwest Theological Forum entitled Praying the Rosary with St. Josemariá Escrivá (you can buy it from MTF here or Amazon here- it's all of $1 or $2). It's classic Escrivá:

When the time has come for the mother's purification, in accordance with the Law of Moses, the Child must be taken to Jerusalem to be presented to the Lord (Lk 2:22).

And this time it will be you, my friend, who carries the cage with the doves (Lk 2:24).

Just think: She - Mary Immaculate! - submits to the Law as if she were defiled.

Through this example, foolish child, won't you learn to fulfill the holy law of God regardless of any personal sacrifice?

Purification! You and I certainly do need purification.

Atonement and, more than atonement, love. Love as a searing iron to cauterize our soul's uncleanness, and as a fire to kindle with divine flames the wretchedness of our hearts.

An upright and devout man has come to the Temple, led by the Holy Spirit (it has been revealed to him that he would not die until he has set eyes on the Christ). He takes the Messiah into his arms and says: "Now, my Lord, you can let your servant go from this world in peace, just as you promised, because my eyes have seen the Savior" (Lk 2:25-30).