Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Why I love Jesus

Yeeps, I've been tagged. Twice! Both Puff and Fr. Daren Zehnle tagged me for the "Why I love Jesus" meme. Apparently someone hung a bulls-eye on me and I didn't notice. That's okay, I was feeling a little un-loved after having gone un-tagged for so long anyway. So...the rules:

Those tagged will share 5 things they "love" about Jesus.
Those tagged will tag 5 other bloggers.
Those tagged will provide a link in the comments section here with their name so that others can read them.

Let me first admit that this is not something I'm usually very good at. Ask me an intellectual question, no problem, I'll prattle on all day (or until I realize I'm getting the blank stare) but diving deep inside the real question, truly extrapolating the depth of love, well, being a "typical guy" that's not so easy. But enough stalling...

  1. Because He didn't, hasn't and won't give up on me. Even when I did, have and will. I haven't yet figured out if He's pulling, dragging or pushing me along, but I'm certainly not doing this by myself.
  2. Because He told us "good enough" isn't good enough (think "adultery in the heart" and associated "but I say to you" teachings). My Dad always told me "if you're going to do it, do it right or don't do it at all" (yes, he has a little Yogi Berra in him). When I read those teachings, I knew this was real.
  3. The fact that he works in apparent contradictions, fooling the wise and confusing the learned. It fits my otherwise contorted mind.
  4. Because He taught me that real love is nothing like the pathetic, stupid pale imitation I learned about growing up - it is better, deeper, stronger, more painful, and more rewarding. For some reason I never really understood this until Deus Caritas Est but boy is it a life-changer.
  5. Because I don't understand His ways. And because that's okay. You have no idea how liberating that is for someone like me.
I could go on, but rules are rules. I hereby tag Mike Aquilina (because I like to act like I know him, and he makes me look like I don't like to think) of The Way of the Fathers, Aaron of Indolent Server (even if he is on partial hiatus), Bear-i-tone from The Spirit's Sword (because turnabout is fair play), Leticia of causa nostrae laetitiae, and Diane of Te Deum laudamus. And anyone else that wants to play along - surely y'all can do better than I can.