Thursday, August 21, 2008

On a lighter note

In counterpoint to the sour and dour of the last post ...

My wife and I were laying in bed this morning telling each other that we really needed to get up, using our black lab as an excuse not to when my six-year-old daughter walked in. She usually tries to climb in bed and snuggle for a few minutes before we get up and moving for the day so we didn't think anything of it.

Until we hear her address the dog with "the Lord be with you". As we attempted to stifle impressed chuckles she proceeded to instruct him in the proper way to make the sign of the Cross. Now, St. Francis loved animals so maybe this is her inner Poor Clare coming out, but I don't know. If nothing else, it reminds me how different her life is growing up knowing God and His Church from my life at her age without any of that.